RWTH VPN Setup Guide (18.03.2020)
In this picture-based, step-by-step guide, we will show you how to the connect to the RWTH network using VPN. This is required if you were to access the wiki or other resources which might not be accessible publicly.
You will need:
- A valid TIM username (e.g. "al982551")
- The right TIM password for that username (e.g. "c7y8uMdXt")
- A workstation or a laptop running Windows, MAC OS X, or Ubuntu Linux.
- An administrator or root permissions on that machine, allowing you to install software.
- Click on this link http://rwth-aachen.de/selfservice (it will automatically open in a new tab)
- In the new tab opened, type in your TIM username and TIM password and click "login", as shown below:
- After you have successfully logged in, click on this link https://webspace.noc.rwth-aachen.de/shib/Cisco_Anyconnect/ (it will open in a new tab).
- In the new tab opened, download the file which corresponds to your platform, as shown below:
- Install the application on your workstation or laptop. For example, this is a snapshot of the installation on windows 10:
- After the installation is complete, run the application. For example, below is a snapshot of running the application on Windows 10 using the search bar:
- Once opened, choose
vpn.rwth-aachen.de (SSLVPN) from the drop-down menu and click "Connect", as shown below:
- You will be prompted for the username and password. Use your TIM credentials:
- At this point, you should be connected to RWTH's network. To test, you may try to access the
IP server landing page (rob.arch.rwth-aachen.de), which is not accessible from the public internet.
- In case the link above did not work, then you are likely not connected. Please go over the steps 7-8 again. If you are facing difficulties, please send an
email to the admin.